Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Limiting Factors



Top- Loft outlet
Cardigan- Ann Taylor via Ebay
Pants- BR
Shoes- Charlotte Russe
Bracelet- JCPenny
Necklace- Maurices

Today's outfit was insprired by the bracelet. ETA: wow, I need to iron this shirt! Just realized it's a mess.

When dressing in the morning, there are some things that really limit my style possibilities. To be clear, I don't think it is necessary to have a lot of items in your closet to look put together or fashionable. In fact, the opposite is usually true- the more variety, the easier it is to get stuck wearing something that doesn't work, or not looking very cohesive day-to-day. But I have made a lot of choices that limit me- some due to impulse buying (see the other day's post on impulse buys), and some due to intellectual choices.

For one, I have chosen the wrong footwear over and over again. It's like I am developmentally behind in the shoe department, which I am very aware is important for any basic wardrobe. For example, I have a pair of burgundy stilleto (well, close) ann taylor pumps. I have been unable to style them, and they are not comfy. The color doesn't work with 95% of what I have. I also have a pair of clunky cork wood/black patent sandles I have worn 1x. As for things I could actually use? Not many. It's pretty sad. I need to learn how to pick shoes that I need and will work well in my wardrobe. There are lots more examples I could give you- like my belts. I own two belts that fit ok- and neither are simple, so they don't work in most outfits. Or my overabundance of cardigans (many of which are too boxy for my shape or too small) that really gets me stuck in a 'uniform'.

Another example is the choices that I have made intentionally. I refuse to buy leggings, jeggings, or anything of the sort. I think they are absolutley unprofessional, no matter how they are done. And I don't think they qualify as pants or psudo-pants. This limits some of my possibilities with styling, but I am 100% fine with that. I could be more open about it and try it for my weekend wear, but I'm just not ready to go there (and doubt I ever will be). Another example would be my disinterest in purses. I have 1 big tote I use for school, and a little purse that is so worn out I almost never use it. Bags are supposed to be a part of the 'look', and I fail in this catagory. I should probably have a couple nice bags and alternate them, but finding the interest in me to purchase them is like finding a needle in a haystack. I always avoid the purse section.

What are some intentional and unintentional limiting factors in your wardrobe?

5 comments:

  1. LOL. I had no idea footwear was so important. But I guess so.

    I like the colors on this outfit. Very pretty blues.

    www.thegirlieblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, I maybe over exaggerated lol. But I still think that shoes set the tone of an outfit, and they can also really up the overall look if the shoe works well. I guess my frustration is that I have 14 pairs of shoes, and only 1 nice pair of heels that works with a lot of things, and 2 pairs of flats that are worn out and need to be replaced.

      thank you lady! :)

      Delete
  2. I am not a bag person either. I swap out maybe once a season, if that. In fact I have a brand new Kate Spade black bag in my trunk that my aunts bought me for my birthday... 6 months ago. Whoops.

    Shoes - if they're not comfy, no matter how much you paid for them, you won't wear them. Have you checked on 6pm.com? They have fantastic deals on name-brand, good quality shoes. I'm really into finding a good metallic flat right now, either pewter or bronze. That'd be a great neutral, I think.

    I love your color combo here, it's one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Taylor! :)

      I have used 6pm before- I have 3 pairs of summer shoes from there! And actually, I have been spying metallic flats... funny you mention that :) The problem is that my shoe size seems to be all over. I have shoes from 6 1/2 to 7 1/2, so online shopping can be difficult.

      Delete
    2. Me too - I have found though with certain brands I can tell what size will work. Well, about 90% of the time, anyway. It also depends on the type of shoe - flat, pump, boot, open-toe, etc. I have to say I have had pretty good luck ordering shoes online. Also - there's always Target!

      Delete