- Is this an event where a dress would be appropriate? (no, not every occasion calls for a dress- and not every situation would be comfortable in a dress)
- Go into this with a positive attitude- because it is easy to self defeat, especially if you prefer shopping to re-wearing or re-inventing.
- Throw every dress you own on your bed and evaluate each one. If it is too formal, think about how you might be able to dress it down. If it is too casual, think about how you can dress it up. Put the ‘no’ dresses back into the closet. Do NOT remove dresses from the pile that are too simple- it is so easy to accessorize and glam up simple dresses.
- Try on each of the dresses you have left in the pile, and think about how you could make it work.
- If you really are left with NO options, then go ahead and go shopping. Be careful when picking a dress out to buy, and keep in mind that you may want a dress you can re-wear to other occasions and cost per wear.
While making this post up, I remembered a great post from Sal at Already Pretty: How to wear a formal dress to the office. Perhaps I should try this with my 2nd dress up there and see if I can tone it down for the office?