Friday, January 10, 2014

Shop your closet 30 day challenge

I've been thinking on and off about doing an exercise in not shopping. I was so unwilling to entertain the idea in the past that I think it's a sign that I really need to do something to break my addiction. I've done shopping bans in the past, but always cheated and then binged when it was over so I've put some thought into how I was going to manage it this time.

I was going to do a challenge this month because I'm short on discretionary income this month anyway, but I have eBay earnings and gift money which I plan on spending and that really pixies on the spirit of the ban even if I'm not spending my own money out of pocket. So, the decision is that I'm on a shopping ban for 30 days from January 31st to March 1st (March 2nd I am free). I cannot spend any money, not even gift cards or eBay earnings, on clothing or accessories. To prevent a binge, I've added the rule that I cannot blow this month's and next month's budget money in March either. I'm breaking it up and redistributing the $ instead, because ending a ban with a shopping spree (even when budgeted for) is opposite my intentions. So now the budget goes from $109.09 a month to $133.33 effective March 2nd.

The challenge I decided to follow is the 30-day Shop Your Wardrobe Challenge by Jill Chivers and comes with inspiration for how to dress each day. I'll post the 30-day inspiration list and hopefully blog the outfits I do for the challenge which, again, starts January 31st.

Wish me luck!

6 comments:

  1. I gave up shopping for Lent a couple of years ago. I obviously bought fresh food and replaced staples and if I had to buy a part for my car etc etc. But anything that was not an essential was banned. At first I thought I would find myself bending the rules, creating a situation where a book or a cup of coffee at the station was an essential. But in fact I became more hardcore the longer I went. Nobody complained about the meals they were served (we do have a good freezer - I emptied it). I borrowed books from the library and swapped clothes with another friend doing the same thing when we felt like a change of scenery. I made new curtains using old ones that had been hanging around for years and knitted a throw using bits of my leftover yarn. It wasn't always easy and there were times when I had to grit my teeth. Only shopping with cash made it a lot easier during the "Oh I wish..." times. Now I am doing the same thing again, but this time it's just because I don't want to buy anymore. I've lost the interest in anything other than that we really really love and want or actually need. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by!!! Seems like you did an awesome job and had some great ideas on how to manage (not circumvent) the challenge! Good luck to you too in the next phase ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read a few of your earlier posts and saw your budget for this year. You budget $600 for November because that's when you love to shop the most. Let me tell you, I think that if you stick to your new habits and really become mindful of what you really want/need vs don't need, then by the time November rolls around, you will not want to spend $600. You may not spend anything at all. I am finding life to be so much easier since doing Project 333 because that's one less thing I have to deal with in the morning. I am even picking out my clothes at night because everything in rotation is something that I know fits me and looks good on me.

    Anyway, all of this is to say...keep up the good work! Just returning that leather jacket because you didn't really love it is a HUGE step.

    Also, save that money for your daughter's college education. That's what motivated me to stop spending. It's either spend money on clothes that I don't love, or have money to go away for weekend visits to wherever my son might be going next year.

    I'd rather be able to see him, because he generally doesn't care what I'm wearing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your support and encoragement! I hope you're right and that if I stick to this, I will no longer be held in thrall by shopping. It's harder than I thought though! I do want to reach something similar to project 333 at the end of my journey!“

      Delete
  4. I have done shopping bans in the past. From experience I can tell you that the first time i failed, and it's ok.
    Just don't give up and keep on trying Meli! I am currently focused on getting rid of the clothes i don't wear or that i am holding on to for the wrong reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorena! I needed to be reminded that trying to change is more important than failure. :)

      Delete