Monday, February 3, 2014

January Clutter Count

I've decided to do a monthly clutter count focusing on two things: What comes into my home (grocery and everyday toiletries/supplies don't count but everything else does count) and what leaves my home. I want to pursue minimalism and the first steps will be to reduce what I have and bring less things in.

So this is the Clutter Count for January!

Stuff In


1 dress, 1 pair of shoes, 1 gifted necklace (see wardrobe budget post)
Pressure washer for husband
Replaced the fire alarms
Disney movie dvd cases/ 3 movies total (The Little Mermaid 1-3)
3 pairs of replacement tights (2 solid black, one patterned)
2 vintage children's books
Leather cleaner and conditioner for my boots
A singing puppy toy (gift for my child from her Uncle and Aunt)

Stuff Out

Tons of old things in a massive cleanout- too many to list!
3 necklaces, 3 cardigans, 2 blazers, 4 tops/sweaters/camis, 1 skirt (13 items, see Budget post)

Gifts and random

Purchased 3 spring tops for my niece
Let a friend borrow all my maternity clothes- a big bag full!

5 comments:

  1. I just caught up on a few of your past posts. I sort of struggled with the fashion bug since starting Project 333 in January. I ended up buying three blouses, a belt, a pair of leggings, a jacket, and a skirt. Did I need any of these? Not really, but they were from my favorite brand and on sale, so I just HAD to get them. Turns out I don't love the blouses, but they are nice quality and they will do well as basics under sweaters. The other things I will definitely wear, but I feel like I should really get rid of a few things so that my closet doesn't get filled up again.

    On the flip side, I have definitely become more mindful when I walk into a store looking for something. Just yesterday I was looking at T-shirts thinking that I need a basic white one, but then most of the ones I've gotten in the past are so sheer that I feel uncomfortable wearing them. So I was able to walk away without getting anything. In the past, I would have bought it anyway, just in case.

    Anyway, I look forward to seeing the rest of your outfits as you shop your closet. I love the combination from Day 1. Also, that Reiss dress is nothing short of spectacular. I can see why you bought it. It's definitely my style too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by!! I have yet to dip my toes into 333. I've done 10 items for five days (capsule challenge started by Jane at the small fabric of my life) but never 30x30 or anything more. I'm afraid of limiting my options for no real reason!

      I too am finding myself more mindful as I read more about minimalism and think about where I want to go with it. I'm enjoying the progress I see in myself and hope you are as well! Don't beat yourself up over missteps- we all make them but what I realized today the most important thing is to recognize them, analyze them, and make a change for the future!

      Delete
  2. I think what you are doing is so cool. Sometimes we just let stuff come in and come in and come in and then all of sudden we have way too much stuff! I live in a pretty small house, so we are constantly purging things. We keep a bin by the front door for thrift store donations. It definitely helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea! My husband is nowhere near ready to let go of things but I'm handling what is my domain and hope he comes to my side soon! Otherwise it's just me. If I had a bin right now he'd be going through it lol. But at least I realize that purging isn't enough- it's also limiting what comes in!

      Delete
    2. And thanks for popping in :)

      Delete