Wednesday, April 30, 2014

April 2014 Budget

See last month's budget post here!

Budget-
$1800/year, can add in gift cards and ebay sales. I targeted $600 for November and the rest to be divided out monthly. See original here.
No more than 45 items total for the year- changed to 25 items. Items must correlate with my shopping strategy- updated to shopping questions.


Spent this month: $19.04 ebay after fees, $135.35 out of pocket
Totals: $597.42 out of pocket, $146.71 on gift cards, $219.11 on returns and eBay earnings.
$1202.58 left for the year out of pocket.

10 new items entered my closet this year so far total, including gifts. I can buy or recieve up to 15 more items this year.

What Came In:

Purse from Kohls, replaced my worn out grey bag. $69.39 with taxes. This was not selected after a lot of thought- it was a rushed purchase. I needed to replace my falling apart bag in time for an interview I had scheduled. This was the best option under $75 that was big enough to fit what I needed into it. I'm not a purse girl, and one day I'll get a really nice one but this one works and I like it against my work clothing and my hot pink spring trench coat. 8/10.

Tailor- $85

I had the tailor add darts to my colorblock dress for waist definition. What a difference! Before the dress was pretty but I never would have worn it because of the silhouette- too straight for me. It was around $35 (originally $160) so I wanted to risk the alteration. With the darts, I now have a classic, beautiful, fitted sheath dress!

I had my polkadot dress hemmed to the knee. This dress was mid-calf length and was my college graduation dress. With the hem to the top of my knee, I can now get some wear out of it!

I had the hem fixed (fell out) of my pinstripe editors, hemmed my rerock jeans and my dark grey jeans for flats, and hemmed my too-long black pants for heels. 

Again, similar to my February Budget post, getting these items tailored gave me more options (hello two summery dresses, jeans, and black trousers!) and made me feel like I do when I purchase new items- excited to wear them and happy to have them! 

This was the last of the items in my alterations bag, but I have two tops I may have taken in/hemmed depending on how I feel after wearing them again. They already had the straps shortened but aren't quite right yet. I may end up commiting an alterations mistake with them, but I already own them and have invested the $ and space, so another $10 each may not mean anything at this point regardless of the result.

All told, I was a little over my budget this month because of the tailoring. At first I was going to do only a few things but then got everything done instead. I'm $26.26 over for the month.

I'm $161.05 over for January-April all told from where I should be this month ($436.36). I'm certain I can make things balance out in the coming months. I am leaving November's budget of $600 in place because I plan to get a coat and winter boots, both fairly expensive items (though hopefully not that much)! Next month I plan to get a pair of low heels for my shorter trousers and a replacement pair of flats, both true needs at this point.

2 comments: