Thursday, July 31, 2014

Curating my Closet

This coming August, my closet will see a lot of fluctuation. I've gotten to the point where I'm ready to let go of almost (80%?) everything of what is not working out for me. Some of those things have seen some wear for lack of anything better in it's place, but most have been either worn once or twice, or not at all. I'm also replacing worn out items and adding/subbing in some missing components that will make my outfits feel more complete and more myself.

It feels great in that I can remove what causes me frustration, and replace items that don't fit my standards or are too worn. It also feels wasteful and contrary to the ideal behind what I am pursuing. I don't want to be wasteful or to consume for consumption's sake. The only consolation to me is that most of the mistakes I've made were from before I commited myself to minimalism, and that the nicer items will be sold on ebay.

My version of 'minimalism' will look different from a lot of other people. I'm not comfortable commiting to only 33 items yet and storing the rest in a box- I use most of my wardrobe year-long, which IMO is a good thing. Currently I only own 13 tops (hope to get some more soon), 6 jackets, 4 skirts, etc. to a total of 78 items of clothing. While this won't be my final number, I won't be going much over this number either. It feels minimal for me, my lifestyle (working in a professional office with a casual weekend style) and my 4-season climate.

I know that this month will look like a shopping spree, and it is in a way, but I am doing this carefully and in a planned fashion. I've identified everything I want to replace or substitute with a different item and have a shopping list I'm sticking to. I'm working right now on getting my overall plan into a post so you can see what the entire plan is.

4 comments:

  1. Meli, I'm super impressed that your closet is down to 78 items. That's fantastic! I really want to continue to cull. I do feel you on the tug of war between pursuing minimalism and the currency of your existing possessions and the concern about consumerism. I want fewer things, and I want to buy fewer things, but how do I do that without being a revolving door for my clothes and other possessions? The answer is in quality, and that will take time, and even those things will go out of style or fall apart or stop fitting or working for us. That you're asking the questions and thinking about your answers is key. I'm looking forward to purging a lot more this year, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca! It's not easy for sure. I'm certain my wardrobe number will creep up this month- that 78 is probably a low point for me. Hopefully I won't continue to go up and up, but the right number isn't really just about the number! It's about what works for each of us. :)

      Delete
  2. It is awesome that you are ready to let go on the things that aren't working for you! I think I am getting close to that stage. I also really need to do a wardrobe re-count to see where I stand right now. I wish you luck this month, focus on your list and the items you know you need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megan and I hope all went well for you!

      Delete