Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Intentionality

I've been reflecting on my spending habits and wardrobe acquisitions over the last year. I think I've been a bit out of control and not as intentional as I could have. Don't get me wrong, I made a lot of great purchases and bought many things I don't regret in the slightest. But, I feel I could have done much better. You see, I purchased a lot of things this year, and many of those things were impulse decisions. If one was good, three was better right? Perfect example was the three rhinestone necklaces I purchased. They were cheap, and if I bought more than one I got a better deal still on the price and on shipping. Well, the honest truth is that only one would have sufficed. And the list goes on and on! I think most of the items I bought were good purchases, but I didn't NEED them all. You see, I wasn't intentional about my purchases.

I want to be more intentional going forward, and I want to seriously slow down my purchases. I also want to edit out all the things that don't make me happy, regardless of the amount of guilt associated with them (especially things I bought this year). At the moment, I own 80 pieces of clothing. Ideally I'd like to be at or below this number- below would absolutely be a bonus. I have some great pieces and want to really get my enjoyment out of them. Continually adding items isn't going to help my situation in the slightest. And adding items in mass quantity means that I cannot think about a lovely $150 silk blouse or a $200 cashmere sweater (in my dreams!)- because I spend that on several items rather than just one. My new mission is the 'one and done'. Next year I want to concentrate on 10 clothing items for the year, a la 5 piece wardrobe. If I take my budget and divide it out by 10, that's $230 an item I have to spend. I could buy ANYTHING! I could have an expensive 'something new' almost every month! It's weird to even contemplate. I have to admit that I need to upgrade my jewelry options, but that's relatively inexpensive and I don't need much so another 10 items would be just right.

I do have some fear that reducing my item limit from 45 to 20 is daunting. But I want the focus on quality, timelessness, and serious STYLE. Not the never-ending 'lets try', 'this is pretty, I need it', and 'more is better'. I don't want a never-ending parade of items entering and leaving my wardrobe. I don't want to overspend my budget (something I've done year after year, excepting hopefully this year). And I want to be more in line with what my soul is craving- minimalism, not consumerism-guilty purge-consumerism-wash and repeat. It's hard to let go of consumerism and the fear of missing out. But let's face it- I cannot really complain about having missed out of much in life, and I need to stop feeding that particular nasty monster.

I also want to focus about being intentional in the rest of my life. Improving the quality of my life in all aspects. I've been seriously inspired by Lessons from Madam Chic by Jennifer L. Scott. More to come on that front in the future. I can't continually obsess over my wardrobe- it's time I put time into other things.

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of doing the 5 piece wardrobe and investing in really amazing, special pieces. That is somewhere I would like to take my wardrobe at some point. Originally I wanted to start doing that this year, but I realize I have a lot of work to do in terms of my compulsive & impulse shopping before I can start investing in clothing. I like your idea of focusing your energy on other areas in your life; I think that will help put the shopping into perspective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to do more of that (focusing on other things)! It's so easy to get wrapped up in the same old same old. I'm really excited about the item reduction and focusing on better pieces- though I may not be so enthused later on when I can't be as frivolous as I have been/can't shop for emotional reasons... It's all about growth and improvement, right? I feel like I have done a lot this year even though August's purchases don't really showcase that.

      Delete