Tuesday, December 23, 2014

An Inspired Revolution

Hello everyone! Sorry for my absence, I've been frequently ill and very busy for the holidays on top of everything! I just wanted to share a major inspiration I was struck with this month that has already begun to transform my perspective of everything in my life.

It all starts with a good book

I read Jennifer Scott's blog The Daily Connoisseur. I was brought to her blog after purchasing and reading her inspiring book 'Lessons from Madame Chic'. I also purchased her newest book 'At home with Madame Chic' which was even more inspiring!  I've talked about them both before, but they really have made a difference in how I view daily life. Jennifer posts inspirational articles and videos on her blog once or twice a week. In one of her recent posts, she recommended some great books on clearing clutter. I decided to read one of her recommendations, 'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo.

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up

I recently finished reading this book, and it was truly inspirational to me. The method is very different from anything I have ever seen before. Basically, the method is:

1. Decide what kind of life you want to live, what that looks like, and why.
2. Sort through all of your belongings by category (not room!). She asks that there be a particular order as well, and that specifically we only work on items that belong to ourselves and not those that belong to our partners or children.
3. Pool each item of a category together and sort through each object ONE by ONE, physically picking up and holding each one.
4. Ask yourself if this item brings you joy (NOT if you want to discard it, which is a tougher question). Answer honestly. All yes's are items to be kept, all maybe's and no's are all to be discarded.
5. Finish sorting through ALL of your belongings before you begin to organize them.
6. Each item must have a place it belongs in when you are done.

I can't tell you how many quotes I saw in her book that really made my mouth drop and made me want to share with the world! I've copied one here for you to enjoy:

'Every object has a different role to play. Not all clothes have come to you to be worn threadbare. It is the same with people. Not every person you meet in life will become a close friend or lover.'

The book was written for a Japanese audience, and the perspective is from a childless woman, but so much of it is applicable to anyone that I truly believe that it should be required reading for everyone! I've only had limited time to employ some of her ideas, but I have to say that the motivation she provided to me to truly clear my clutter alone was worth the time I spent reading her book. I did not agree with every principal the author stated, but I could see why she suggested what she did and how that would work for some people. The vast majority of what she had to offer however has really sunk in and left a mark, which doesn't happen that often! Lastly, she offers new ideas I have never seen before, and she talks about truly appreciating everything we have- which is truly a worthwhile pursuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment