Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The neglected side of my wardrobe

Since I began this blog, I've focused purely on the clothing that is seen once I leave home. I've never really spent any time on the clothing I change into once I'm home. I've never really accounted for the coming and going of lounge clothing, and never posted purchases (which were very seldom). I've given this a lot of thought after reading this guest post from Terra and this post on Debbie Roe's blog about the clothing we wear at home.

No More Hiding!

I've come to the conclusion that I was too ashamed to mention my lounge wear/pajamas on the blog. Some of it is in good shape, but a lot of it is not. These are things I bought (or downgraded from regular clothing) for pure function- never caring what I looked like or if they flattered me, but only if they served their purpose and did not chafe or feel restricting. Reading those posts I linked above had me looking at myself and my at-home clothing with fresh eyes- and how embarrassing it feels! I would be (and have been) mortified if someone other than immediate family caught me in my pjs/lounge, which are what I change into the moment I get home no matter what I have on.
 
I think it's time that at-home me better matches my out-of-the-house me. I want to feel better about myself at home, and I want to set a good example for my little daughter. I also wouldn't mind being more attractive to the husband

The Plan

I'm planning on revitalizing my wardrobe, but on a budget. I'm thinking another 5-piece wardrobe challenge is in store for this capsule (20 items max) to keep the sheer amount of purchases down, and I've decided to set a budget of  $700 for those items. I don't want to go overboard, but it's in desperate need of a revamp. I also commit to doing an inventory and posting it. Once I've replaced/purged some of the more embarrassing things, I'll participate in the LIWI challenge (with photos of each item as planned for my out-of-doors capsule) so I can get this in shape! The only items that will 'not count' here will be underwear (except that I will post all new purchases).

4 comments:

  1. Yay, Meli! I'm happy that you're joining me in the process of improving the at-home wardrobe. I think that many people don't really consider this part of their closets. It was especially egregious for me because I am at home so much of the time, but I think my attitude was a carry-over from when I used to work in an office like you do (many years ago). I have already improved what I wear at home and I feel much better. In my case, my husband works at home, too, so why would I want to look messy around him? I still wear what would be considered "lounge wear" a lot of the time, at least on my bottom half, but I would be fine leaving the house in it, which is more than I could say for what I used to wear not long ago. I wish you the best of luck with this new project and I look forward to reading your updates along the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog and reply! :)

      I'm excited about the prospects of this new venture- I think it'll do me a lot of good. What a revelation- I feel so silly for not seeing it before. I may not be at home the majority of my day, but when I am it's when I spend time with the people that matter most to me- my husband and my daughter. While I may not ever leave the house in my at-home clothing (though I'd like some crossover in the casual side) I still would like to look decent!

      Delete
  2. I'm also cheering for you Meli. After I made the connection and began wearing nicer, comfortable at-home clothing and nicer pajamas at night it was amazing how much more rested and renewed I felt. Like you, my life at home involves cooking, children, sticky fingers along with other messy tasks, so I also opt for easy to wash clothing for wearing at home. And I look forward to reading your updates along the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh my reply disappeared!

      Thank you very much for the inspiration Terra- and I am also looking forward to feeling great at home! I grew up on a farm, and have the habit of taking off the nice clothes the moment I get home fully ingrained into my habits. Maybe it's time to rethink it!

      Delete