Monday, May 11, 2015

Finding Worthy Pursuits

I've been spending a lot more time on living life versus online shopping, thinking a lot about shopping, etc. Here's a little recap on what I've been doing lately:

Focus on being a good Mommy

My daughter is almost 2 1/2 now. I've been working hard lately to be a better mommy. I found I was yelling at her too much and wasn't being patient enough with her. It's hard, because toddlers know how to push all your buttons and she understands so much that I get upset when she doesn't want to behave. For me, it's easy to feel frustrated when she isn't listening or having a tantrum (she's a big, sometimes dramatic, and very headstrong personality). I've worked a lot on being calm, patient, and am doing so much better in this area. Additionally, I've been taking her out on the swingset and walking to the local library (now the weather's nice) to borrow books to read together. It's been really enjoyable-- I love spending time with her!

Adding to the Family



Just this past weekend, we adopted a beautiful pair of kitties. They have names but we may change them. The calico is 'Mia' and she is the sweetest thing, and loves my daughter. She let's her do anything, never scratches, and is very gentle. She even let her stick her face right in her belly! The grey and white one is 'Daisy' and she really seems to love me. She's more skittish, but is more playful.

Exercise and Physical Health

I've struggled with health issues lately, particularly with my kidneys. I'm happy to report I am much healthier lately and only had one weekend recently where I was in too much pain to do much. I've been exercising almost every day lately and feel stronger and more fit. I'm also doing 1000mg of vitamin C a day, plus cranberry and dandelion root pills, all as homeopathic treatments for my kidney issues. I also recently had a good friend join in exercising with me a few times a week, which is a real treat. I feel much more motivated with a partner. We've been doing Zumba on my Wii, which is a lot of fun. I got the Zumba because I have always wanted to learn to dance, but have zero skill or experience and no classes near me that I could take.

Gardening/Home

I have a lot more to go in this area, but I'm really trying hard to get my giant yard in shape this year! I have several BIG projects in the works, and am looking at remodeling the kitchen this summer as well.

Reading and Writing

I'm not spending as much time reading now as I did, but I still love to read. I've lost some of my steam with writing my book in the last two weeks. I'm hoping my creativity starts flowing again soon, as I'm only about 14,000 words in. I was doing really well up to recently, but with all the sunshine I've been more motivated to be outdoors than shut up with my laptop!


Scrapbooking

This is a hobby I've always enjoyed, but since I had my daughter I've gotten little done. My supplies are in a room that is cluttered and I have not done as well in the decluttering department as I wish. I need to get some space freed up in order to be able to do it again!

The Expenses

The struggle with finding worth-while pursuits is to keep the expenses down. I've spent a lot of money recently in my 'worthy' categories, but I think of this as investment which over the course of time should be low-cost.

Kitties- We spent at least $300 on them between adoption fees, toys, litter pans/litter, beds, food, scratching toy, etc.
Zumba- $37.14 (march) on two Wii games, $170.54 on 2 pairs of athletic pants and a sports bra (april). I didn't have workout pants or a bra, so these were necessary!
Reading- $58.97 (feb) on 4 books I love and wanted physical copies of, $7.98 (feb) on 6 and $4.99 (jan) on one digital book I enjoyed
Writing- $832 (april) on a laptop

No comments:

Post a Comment