Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Update and New Year

How I'm Doing

Hello- it's been a while since I have last posted. I've done a lot of thinking over the last few months. I'm still working on my compulsions, but can report with a smile that I have not bought an item of clothing/jewelry/etc for myself since October 21st- and not white-knuckling through it either. I'm not on a 'ban'- just waiting patiently for the right things, right prices, and right times. I had to look up the date and was surprised it's been so long. That's not to say I have not shopped- I way overdid Christmas shopping for my daughter, nephew, and nieces in November, but I was able to get through all of December without buying anything that was not necessary. I didn't shop for anything for myself (or husband/daughter) until yesterday, where I bought myself a book and a little tea set for my daughter that I have had my eye on for several months. Yes, I've missed out on awesome deals for myself in the process (hello, 50% cashmere sweaters?! or my free $30 rewards for lounge-wear?)- but I'm gaining control and confidence.

I've achieved my success mostly by finding other things to do that I love. I've been spending more time with my daughter, more time KonMari-ing, playing a computer game I used to really love instead of online browsing, and concentrating on what my overall goals are. I'd like to do more scrap-booking, but I won't be able to until I get my stuff sorted and into my new scrapbook room (the husband's cousin is finally moving out in February, and I'll be able to use that room for my scrapbook stuff, the bowflex, and my husband's music stuff, freeing my daughter's room and my bedroom! I also really would like to finish writing my book but have not felt *inspired* in the last few weeks.

New Year Goals?

Usually I do a post about all my goals and how I'll accomplish them, and how I did in the year before. I'm letting it all go. I didn't even come up with a word for this year, until it just came to me today: Free. I want 2016 to be the year I free myself, and my family. I don't want over-complicated goals, I don't want to beat myself up over last year, and I don't want to constantly measure myself against whatever I said on January 1st of any given year. I want a simple vision, that I can change when life requires it, to guide me through this year to achieve the results I want.

In simplicity:

I want to pay off as much debt as possible.
I want to finish KonMari-ing the house.
I'd like to slowly upgrade things in the house (curtains, for one).
I'd like to be more frugal with my spending overall.
I need to focus more on my family and myself.

On My Wardrobe and Shopping

I want this year's shopping to have a natural flow to it. I seriously doubt I can go the whole year without shopping, but I want it to be 'natural' in that it's when I need something. Not a need I invented in order to shop, not just because I felt like I needed to shop because of frustrations or stress. But also, not so stringent that I feel trapped, or cannot get something I really love because I didn't plan it first.

I have some wardrobe needs that'll have to get replaced sometime- a pair of black pumps for one. I also have some things I'd really like to add sometime this year- another cashmere sweater (I got my first this year, and only own 3 heavy sweaters total and live in frigid winters), in another color and fit. Other items include a pretty blue top, a necklace, and a dress I saw on my favorite website that came out months ago. I'll likely need to replace my winter boots and my ankle boots. But I'm in no hurry for anything.

On this Blog

I'd like to be more active on this blog and start focusing on my wardrobe again, but in the spirit of enjoying what I have. I'll also do more KonMari posts, since I'm still working on it and plan on re-doing everything in the 'right' order, and touching everything and being really honest with myself if it sparks joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment