Friday, August 12, 2016

Challenge Start, with a BANG

I wanted to write about my experience on my 1st day of the challenge.

On my very first day, I struck out. I spent $0.85 on a bag of pretzels (I know, it's not much- but it's the SPIRIT of this challenge that matters).The good? Only 180 calories and didn’t ruin my dinner. The bad? I could have prevented the expense had I brought ONE more snack with me to work. I am always hungry in the late afternoon and have to go pick up my daughter from daycare and then go home and cook dinner- waiting that long to eat is hard for me. What did I learn? Bring some snacks to leave at my desk just in case what I bring doesn’t hold me over, and put 1 extra item in my lunch bag! Anyway, the next day I made sure I brought the extra snacks to keep and my desk + 1 extra snack for the day.

Additionally, when I got home that day, guess what was on my doorstep? My stitchfix shipment! I ordered it quite some time ago (and paid the $20 style the previous week), but technically these items were NOT purchased yet. So this was my first (and unexpectedly fast) trial by fire. My shipment was 3 tops, 1 cardigan, and a skirt. Immediately upon opening it, I knew it wasn’t going to be like my last shipment where I kept it all. I tried each item on dutifully and found two contenders, a black asymmetrical zip cardigan/sweater, and a black knit top with cutout shoulders and a sheer neckline I liked. The other two tops and the skirt were easy no’s. I then took out my checklist (see this post) that I created to use when I want to purchase anything to add to my wardrobe and reviewed my two remaining items against it. Here’s my answers for reference:

Black Top, Cutout Shoulders & sheer mesh detail
Do I need this? No.
a.      Is this something very special/ do you really love it and therefore it deserves an exemption? No.
I likely would have kept this top without my checklist!

Black Asymmetrical Zip Cardigan
Do I need this? I do ‘need‘ layering pieces, sweaters, and long-sleeved options for fall. I also have wanted an alternative to the typical cardigan (which I have many dups of)
Does this duplicate something I already own in another color/similar style? Nope
Do I already own something I would choose over this item for the occasion I’m purchasing it for/Would this split the wears of something else I own? No
 Will it be used often enough to justify the purchase? I think so!
Can you think of at least 3 outfits you can wear with this? Yes.
Does this item fit perfectly? Yes
Is this item the perfect color or print for me and my body/coloring? Yes
Is the style of this item flattering on my body? Yes
Can I afford to buy this item right now, not using credit? Just barely, but yes.
Do I have any doubts about how honestly I answered the above questions, or about the item itself? No.

I was more cautious about this piece before my checklist, but after going through it I ended up feeling much more positive about it. I likely would have purchased both without the checklist, unexpectedly loving the sweater and regretting the top! I now have one official purchase towards my wardrobe, which I’ll post about monthly (every mid-month since this is 10th-10th).


As a side note, my checklist going forward will have a few changes. I’ve encountered a few things I need to add to it after posting about it in Debbie Roe’s closed facebook group, End ClosetChaos. These are: a question about my emotional state, another on the quality of the item in question, and an addition about how I’ll be using it to the usage question for starters.

No comments:

Post a Comment