As I’ve gone through each category of purchases I’ve found a lot of rules that should be applied to all categories. I’ve decided to do an easy brief summary of all my rules and update them. I’ve also set a budget in place for every category so that I have some guidelines and in all cases, a goal to spend less than the budget I set.
The overall idea is that when I spend $ on anything, be it a packaged item in the vending machine or expensive winter boots, every cent I part with must be intentional.
Summary of the Rules:
- Post about all purchases for accountability monthly and how I’m doing with my budgets.
- Use what I already have whenever possible and review regularly what I have/plan ahead
- Check what I have before buying to make a list, and shop using a list whenever possible.
- Follow my yearly budget/item limits where applicable:
- $2500/year on my wardrobe- 26 at home and 26 out the door items maximum
- $500/year on my daughter’s wardrobe
- $500/year on craft items
- $250/year on miscellany (new)
- $1200/year on household items (new)
- $400 on groceries and toiletries/consumables a month target (new)
- $125 on eating out per month or $1500 yearly (new)
- $1000 on gifts for the year (new)
- New item Checklist for wardrobe purchases
- Meal planning
- Outfit / Wardrobe challenges
- Review & purge as needed both my wardrobe and my daughter's wardrobe
- Inventory my wardrobe & post about it, update every 3 months
- Inventory my daughter's wardrobe & post about it, update every 3 months
- Post on monthly accountability posts all purges for both wardrobes